Wednesday, October 8, 2008

There's Only One October!


My favorite month of the year is October. (March is a close second). Seasons are changing, so we have some beautiful scenery in Montana. Football is in full swing. The MLB playoffs are on. About half of my extended family has birthdays in October. Hunting season starts. Basketball practice heats up. And much, much more.

This year's baseball playoffs aren't nearly as compelling this year (because my Rockies didn't make it), but they are definitely worth paying attention to. In the National League Championship, the Dodgers have a legitimate chance of winning a World Series, which they have not done since 1988. The Phillies are a fun team to watch, though I think the media has them vastly overrated.

In the American League, the Tampa Bay Rays have been the story of baseball this season. During the pre-season, most of the baseball experts were saying that the Rays were about a year from being a force in the AL East. Well, they have blossomed early and it has been fun watching their young players mature. I felt like this was the year the Red Sox would bow out in the first round, but they surprised me with their ability to pull games out of no where. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, they've been doing it since 2004. I really don't like the Sox, but you have to give them credit for winning when it matters.

My Predictions? Dodgers/Sox in the World Series, with L.A. winning in seven games in a true fall classic. The only thing I don't like about October? Having to listen to Joe Buck. I can't stand him.

I would like to have a moment of silence due to a very sad moment that will happen tomorrow in Helena. I have an appointment to have my boat winterized, which marks the official end of summer.

No comments: