Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rays-Phils: A Good Start by Fox

The World Series started tonight! I love playoff baseball and the World Series. As avid Courtside readers will note, I am a terrible prognosticator so I won't give any predictions. In case you missed it, here is Fox's opening video from the broadcast. Just a hint, it is awesome.



This video gives me a chance to talk broadcasting strategy a bit. I think the most important parts of a sports broadcast are the beginning and the end. The beginning is your chance to set the mood, so videos like this are great. It gets the crowd emotional about the game and gets them interested immediately. In radio it is more difficult because you obviously don't have the visual component. That's why planning is important, you have to be able to tell the story of why this game matters. The end is just as important because if the game does matter and the result is close or controversial, people will remember your call of the events for a long time. Therefore you need to make the impression a good one.

Can you tell I'm getting ready for a new hoops season? Woo Hoo!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ohhh, good video. I like it #1) because there wasn't any bon jovi. God I got sick of that song. Nice way to link the presidential election. Also, unlike Haterific TBS they actually show Yankees highlights in the WS montage. TBS jerks. rant over.