Monday, September 8, 2008

Ramblings on Football



Life makes sense again. There is a crispness in the air and football season has begun. I am sad to see summer go, but having football back makes it worth while. I spent all day Saturday prepping and working the sidelines for the MSU-K State football game, spent most of yesterday watching the NFL's first weekend, and just finished watching my Vikings on MNF. So, it has been a true football weekend.

Tom Brady blew his knee out yesterday and the Patsies announced today that he will be out for the rest of the year. Just to get it out there: I would NEVER root for someone to get injured. Never. It is awful to see anyone get hurt and not be able to do their job or live their passion. That said, I actually think having Brady out and having the Pats knocked down a peg helps the NFL. I am not a fan of dynasties. I like to see leagues and divisions be competitive and have multiple teams with a chance at the crown. Over the past few years, it seems like only the Colts and Pats have had a chance in the AFC, and I got bored with that.

My Vikings have been picked by many to win the NFC North and possibly go deep in the playoffs. After watching them play tonight I have mixed feelings. There is so much talent, but the Vikes are limited by Tavaris Jackson. You can tell that Coach Childress has no confidence in him by the plays that get called. When they did take the chains off and let him try to make some plays (in the last two minute drill), he threw an interception. With the Slackers playing well and the Teddy Bears looking pretty good on Sunday night, the Vikings will have a tough road to travel to win the division. TJ better improve quickly or this will be another wasted year and Childress will be looking for work.

It was only the first game however, so there is plenty of time for the Vikes to get better. I am pretty optimistic that they will do well this season.

Some highlights from the K-State trip:
-Got to meet legendary K-State head coach Bill Snyder
-Prowled the sidelines with Frank Martin (K-State men's bball coach). He is just as intense looking in person.
-Nice Hotel. Charter flying is the way to go.
-I need a better rain coat.
-Big school pep-bands are so awesome. (not that ours is bad, but we're talking a whole different scale)
-I am a bad poker player.

No comments: