Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The magic that is Gus Johnson

People always ask me how I prepare for games that I am going to broadcast. Well, there is a lot to it. I memorize and categorize stats, I go over player stories in my head, I get familiar with the opposing team, I memorize the rosters, I study the history regarding the teams and the matchup and I put together all of the facts regarding the context of the game.

But right before the game? I don't nap, I don't practice, and I don't gargle lemon juice ala Luciano Pavarotti. No, my pal and road trip roommate Justin Scanson got me hooked on something better: I listen to the magic that is Gus Johnson. I think every sportscaster can learn a thing or two from his enthusiasm for the game he is covering. His dramatic calls get me juiced for the game at hand. Here is my favorite GJ moment: UCLA-Gonzaga from the 2006 NCAA Tournament. THE CAAAATCH!



Jitters!