Thursday, August 14, 2008

Disappointments


Well, I am back at it after a delay in blog posts. I wish I had an excuse like "I have been very busy at work," or "my life has been crazy," but the truth is I have been loafing it lately: spending lots of time at the lake and just got back from some vacay up in the Flathead Valley.

Anyway, I got back from a week of no TV and wi-fi to discover that my Rockies went 2-5 in a 7 game home series with Washington and San Diego, the two teams with the worst records in the NL. Follow that up by going 1-2 versus the division leading D-Bags (I mean D-Backs) and I am ready to call the Rox out of the pennant race for 2008. What a major disappointment. After a run to the World Series and only losing our second baseman in the offseason, I was sure the Rox were going to take it all this year. Oh well, maybe next year. (Buy some pitching Dan O'Dowd!!!)

In honor of the disappointment I feel over the Rockies, I thought I would give you a list of the top five sports disappointments in my life. Feel free to add your own in the comments section.

5. Little League 1994. We were the Shields Valley Marlins. My Dad was the coach. I was the slugging right fielder. We won one game. 'Nuff said.

4. Bobcats vs. Appalachian State 2006 NCAA 1-AA playoffs. The Cats had App State on their heels. A trick pass by WR Michael Jefferson is intercepted and App State gets the mo back. We coulda had them.

3. 2007 World Series: Rockies vs Red Sox. Rockies= everything that is right about baseball: small market team, great run to end the season, players no one outside of Denver(except me and my pal Joel Schumacher) has heard of. Sox= everything that is wrong about baseball: East coast bias, bandwagon fans, each player makes more than the GDP of Mongolia. Well you know the result: bad guys win in four.

2. 2007 NCAA Men's Basketball Regional Semis and Finals. Gus Johnson is not included in CBS's announcer lineup.

1. 1998 Minnesota Vikings. Kicker hadn't missed a field goal all year, blows one in the waning moments of the NFC championship. Falcons win in overtime. 15-1 regular season wasted.

I know this post has been depressing and I will try to be more upbeat in the next one. Only 15 days to the start of MSU football!

Tip of the Cap: Justin Scanson- Thanks for mentioning my blog in your favs!
Wag of the Finger: The People's Republic of China- The host country cheats by letting underage girls compete in gymnastics. Try to stay classy Beijing.

4 comments:

Coach Scanson said...

Incorporating Ron Burgundy and Steven Colbert in your blog, BRILLIANT!!! I would like to add a wave of the finger to NBC Sports for tape delaying the Olympics to the Mountain and Pacific Time Zone. CMON

Tyler said...

Yeah, what's wrong with letting the live events be live across all time zones? I mean heck last night the swimming and gymnastics live events where still going on at 11pm, so you can't tell me it's a ratings issue. You gotta love Bela Karolyi though!!

Heather said...

Hi Tyler,

Like the blog. I have an idea for a recurring feature though:

Your favorite Bill Walton youtube clips along with your reactions to each piece?

It should be a big hit.

Stack's Random Thoughts said...

Thanks for bringing up No. 4. That still haunts me!! I even stopped drinking beer that day just out of self-pity. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll be sure to do the same.